Linux System Administrator
this job appointment has expired
Location United States, Chicago
Employment type permanent
Updated 27th Jun 2012
Company Cognitive Capital, LLC
Contact Jennifer Hartig
Email click here
Cognitive Capital, LLC seeks a systems administrator to help develop its state-of-the-art, real-time automated trading system. In addition to possessing excellent analytical and technical skills, the successful candidate will be a creative problem solver, a clear communicator, and a strong team player.
ABOUT COGNITIVE CAPITAL
Cognitive Capital, LLC is a proprietary trading firm based in Chicago that adds value to capital markets by providing liquidity through its automated trading technology. Cognitive Capital fosters an ethical, data-driven, and collaborative culture that focuses on building robust, scalable systems.
· Strong interpersonal and communication skills; capable of writing purchase justifications, making presentations to an internal audience, and interacting positively with developers, and management.
· Ability to solve problems quickly and automate processes.
· Comfortable with most aspects of operating system administration; for example, configuration of mail systems, system installation and configuration, printer systems, fundamentals of security, installing third-party software.
· Understands a UNIX-based operating system; understands paging and swapping, inter-process communication, devices and what device drivers do, filesystem concepts (inode, clustering, logical partitions).
· Familiarity with fundamental networking/distributed computing environment concepts; can configure NFS and NIS, NT domains; can use nslookup or dig to check information in the DNS; understands routing concepts such as HSRP, RIP.
· Ability to write scripts in some administrative language (Perl, shell).
· Ability to do minimal debugging and modification of C programs.
· Familiarity with Windows Server, including Active Directory.
· A minimum of three years of system administration experience; Redhat Linux preferred.
DESIRABLE BACKGROUND AND SKILLS
· A degree in computer science or a related field.
· Programming background in any applicable language.
· Familiarity with SAN, iSCSI and other network based storage solutions.
· Experience with the following applications, or tools: Symantec BackupExec, EMC Celerra NX4, Kickstart, CFEngine, OpenNMS.
· Knowledge of Financial Markets.
· Helps design, and implement complex local and wide-area networks of machines.
· Provides technical assistance, and coverage to a small, complex site & wide area network.
· Works under general direction from development, and IT team members.
· Establishes/recommends policies on system use and services.
Please submit your email@example.com note the position you areapplying for in the subject of your email.
Cognitive Capital, LLC is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination including race, creed, color, age, sex, religion or national origin.