Glitches Financial Trading Industry News, Articles & Insight
- Tullet Prebon suffers network outage
10th November 2017 -
- BIS report on sterling flash crash highlights option hedging and stop loss orders
13th January 2017 - Rogue algorithms and fat fingers not to blame.
- ASIC reports on ASX September outage
21st December 2016 - ASIC releases report on the findings of its review of the ASX outage that affected the operation of the Australian equity market on 19 September 2016.
- ASIC statement on review of ASX technical failure on 19 September 2016
14th October 2016 - ASIC has reviewed ASX's initial report which identified a hardware failure as the cause of the incident. Secondary issues are also being investigated by ASX.
- CFTC statement on GBP 'flash crash'
12th October 2016 - Statement of Commissioner J. Christopher Giancarlo regarding the October 7, 2016 flash crash in the British Pound.
- Bank of England doesn't see systemic risk from algorithms in wake of GBP 'flash crash'
11th October 2016 - Sterling is as Sterling does.
- SEC fines Merrill Lynch USD 12.5 million for mini-flash crashes
27th September 2016 - Merrill Lynch charged with trading controls failures that led to mini-flash crashes.
- ASX CEO report and statement
23rd September 2016 - Report on ASX trade outage and statement from ASX Managing Director and CEO, Dominic Stevens.
- ASX open for less than half the day due to a hardware glitch
20th September 2016 - Database mirroring apparently not their thing.
- Update on outage to ASX Trade
20th September 2016 - ASX confirms that yesterday's issue has been resolved and ASX overnight processing has completed normally.
- ASX suspends trading due to technical glitch
19th September 2016 - Australia's stock exchange halts trading due to hardware failure in the system's main database, trade will not resume on Monday.
- HKEX to roll out Volatility Vontrol Mechanism for its securities market
18th August 2016 - Hong Kong Exchanges and Clearing will roll out its Volatility Control Mechanism - a measure designed to protect market integrity by preventing extreme price volatility arising from major trading errors and other unusual incidents - in its securities market on Monday, 22 August 2016.
- Thursday's SGX outage was due to a failed hard drive
26th July 2016 - Whatever happened to redundancy?
- Bloomberg outage a combination of hardware and software failures
17th April 2015 - Bloomberg experienced a combination of hardware and software failures in the network, which caused an excessive volume of network traffic.
- SGX submits November 2014 breakdown report to MAS
1st April 2015 - SGX Board Committee of Inquiry submits report to SGX Board and Monetary Authority of Singapore.
- Bank of England publishes independent review of RTGS outage
25th March 2015 - The Bank of England has published the results of an independent review by Deloitte of the disruption to the Real Time Gross Settlement (RTGS) system on 20 October 2014. The Bank also published its response, in which it accepted all of the review's recommendations and set out how it intends to implement each of them.
- SGX BCOI appoints experts to investigate 5 November breakdown
2nd January 2015 - Singapore Exchange Board Committee of Inquiry appoints independent experts to assist in 5 November breakdown investigation.
- Further details from SGX concerning Wednesday's outage
6th November 2014 - Singapore Exchange provides further details following Wednesday's market disruption.
- Statement - SGX market outage
5th November 2014 - SGX markets' outage resulted from malfunction in power supply.
- It will be years before 'deadly' shellshock bug is completely eradicated, warns professor
26th September 2014 - Apple PC users most at risk from 'shellshock' bug, but no one should be complacent says cyber security expert.
- NASDAQ statement on 'stuck orders'
15th August 2014 - Statement on yesterday's 'stuck orders' on the NASDAQ Stock Market.
- BATS to settle HFT case with SEC - analysis
6th August 2014 - Even as BATS is reportedly heading into late-stage settlement talks with the SEC, operational details that have been criticised by some market experts are coming to light. Whistleblower Haim Bodek tells Automated Trader his views on the news and what's behind it.
- AbleMarkets issues white paper on predicting Flash Crashes
25th June 2014 - Case study illustrates how AbleMarkets Flash Crash Predictor can alert a portfolio manager to the likelihood of a Flash Crash.
- Future directions in automated markets
11th June 2014 - Automated Trader drops in on the FIA IDX conference to find out how regulatory initiatives are impacting market structure and what technology might look like in the future.
- FIA says good risk controls widely used, urges regulator to let industry lead the way
12th December 2013 - The FIA, in a response to a CFTC review of system safeguards in the financial industry, said best practices in risk controls were widely used by its members.
- The fragmentation factor
29th October 2013 - Many, though certainly not all, of the recent higher-profile trading glitches have occurred in the fragmented securities market rather than the more liquidity-centric derivatives venues. Jim Overdahl, representing the Futures Industry Association's Principal Traders Group, talks about why responding to the technological challenges can be different for the derivatives industry than for securities venues.
- Knight agrees $12 million settlement with the SEC
16th October 2013 - Knight Capital agrees $12 million settlement with the Securities Exchange Commission for violations of the agency's market access rule resulting in the 2012 trading disruption.
- Ain't life a glitch?
8th October 2013 - Automated Trader investigates the various responses, both from the industry and regulators, to a spate of technological mishaps. Adam Cox reports.
- BATS suffers tech glitch
27th September 2013 - BATS New Jersey Exchange experiences internal network disruption, trading switched to Chicago.
- JPMorgan Chase reaches settlements with SEC, FCA, OCC and Federal Reserve
20th September 2013 - JPMorgan Chase & Co. will pay regulators $920 million to resolve London trading incident.
- Prepare failed: (144) Table './ATStatistics/logger_ads_imp' is marked as crashed and last (automatic?) repair failed